Monday 15 August 2011

Local Swimmer Phil Muspratt goes for Gold in the Ukraine

Local lad Phil still lives and trains locally and John Rose Photography has agreed to sponsor Phil as he works hard for his next big goal. Phil is looking for potential sponsors to come on board to help him reach his goal.


Education: I went to school locally, having grown up in Salisbury all my life. I first went to Wyndham Park Infants School, originally on St. Marks Road & also when it moved next to the St. Marks Junior School site. I then attended St. Marks Junior School, from here I left for Wyvern College. Having done my GCSE’s I then went to Salisbury College where I done a National Diploma & then a Higher National Diploma in Computing.


Employment: I worked at Waitrose for 6 years working in the Car Park as part of the checkouts team (enthralling as I’m sure you can imagine). I currently work at James Hay Pension Trustees as an administrator in the Reconciliations team.


Early Years: I was always a bit of a water baby, I remember my Mum taking me to the parent & toddler sessions at the old swimming pool on College Street. I went through all the usual badges quite quickly as a child, I think I finished my “gold” badge by the time I was 8. I had the option of joining Salisbury swim team soon after, but apparently according to my Mum I wasn’t keen on the idea! When my younger sister continued to do her badges & I inadvertently made trips to the pool to collect her with Mum, I confessed that I missed swimming and I soon found myself training for Salisbury from the age of 10.


Back Ground - I am a swimmer who represents my city and county at various levels. I swim for Salisbury Stingrays, which has a squad with varying age groups, from around 10 years of age up to 16+ years. I also swim for Salisbury masters where age groups start at 18-24 and go up in 4year age brackets there after. It is through the Masters swimming side of things that I’ll be attending The European Masters Championships in the Ukraine in September.


Honours – I have won several county titles, currently of which I am the 50m 100m and 200m freestyle champion. I came second in the 50m freestyle at the most recent South West Regional Long Course Championships where only James Young (Commonwealth medallist) beat me. In November of 2009 I won the South West Regional Short Course Championships & aim to reclaim the title later this year.


This year I claimed two silvers & a gold at the British Masters Long Course Championships. I won the 200m freestyle and was narrowly pipped to two silvers in the 50 & 100m freestyle (by 0.01 second in the 50m freestyle!).


I won four golds & a silver at the Scottish National Short Course Championships back in April. I was enraged to miss out on gold in the 50m freestyle. I had only been back in the pool for three week prior to the event due to illness, but it was no excuse for not winning that event.
100m IM – Gold
100m freestyle – Gold
200m freestyle – Gold
50m backstroke – Gold
50m freestyle – Silver



Future Aims – I have the European Masters Long Course Championships in September. This will be my 1st true international competition, so this will be a totally new experience for me. I will be competing in the 50m, 100m and 200m freestyle. Despite this I naturally want to return home with a medal. The championships are being held in the Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment